Welcome to episode 61 of The Grace Cafe Podcast! We were in a recent conversation with someone who asked us why we podcast, what our goals are in this podcast, and what the future of The Grace Cafe Podcast looks like. This generated some good conversation between the two of us and we wanted to share those thoughts with you in this episode. Along the way, we touch on other topics like:
- Community and freedom.
- How religion damages us and our children.
- Complimentarianism and patriarchy.
- Painful endings and new beginnings.
- What is covertly caught vs. what is overtly taught.
- Shame regarding spiritual abuse and mental illness.
- Community and freedom don’t look like religion tells us it does.
- Anxiety and authenticity.
- Anger and grief.
- Religion doesn’t let you ask honest questions.
- The degradation of women in the church and how we silence half the church.
Here’s the link to Susan’s blog about damaged children who grew up in evangelicalism and the purity culture that we talked about in this episode. Please read this.